Wednesday, June 6, 2007

texas hash


I'm not exactly sure where the name,"Texas Hash" comes from, nor what it's historically supposed to contain and that's ok, because Google doesn't either. A search for "Texas Hash" returned an endless list of recipes, while subsequent searches for '"Texas Hash" + History' and '"Texas Hash" + Origins' were equally disappointing.

There are probably as many recipes for Texas Hash as there are Texans, but this one that I just made...well, it's pretty much my favorite to date. I don't have much of a recipe, per se, but I can tell you what ingredients I mixed together.

An un-recipe for Texas Hash

1. Brown and crumble lean ground beef with very liberal shakes of salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, chili powder, and cumin. (This combo is awesome for tacos, as well. Forget those packages of taco seasoning!) Set aside.

2. Saute chopped yellow onion and diced red pepper. Before it gets too brown, throw in some diced serrano peppers and some freshly minced garlic until it's all nicely soft and browned. Set aside.

3. Brown potatoes. I used the Ore Ida diced potato with peppers version, which worked well, though any kind of frozen or fresh diced potato would work in a pinch. Set aside.

4. Fry up an egg or two, or in my case, cook over easy.

5. Layer, or mix up, there's no right way to do it...the hashbrowns, onion/pepper mixture, seasoned ground beef, and top with egg. Finish with a generous dousing of Tapatio or your favorite hot sauce.

Equally good for breakfast or dinner!

And I'd say please excuse the messy plate in the photo, but it's not supposed to be pretty!

1 comment:

Wordtastic said...

OK, I just have to comment on Texas Hash! I remember Tutu making "hash" when I was a kid and I HATED it! It was made with canned corned beef and hashbrowns. Then, when I became a mom and started cooking it, I had a recipe for Texas Hash that I LOVED. It was made with ground beef, onions and green peppers and rice. The only problem was K HATED mine! She hated bell peppers thanks to a scratch and sniff book she had as a little kid! Now YOUR recipe looks pretty darn good except if I was your kid - I'd HATE that fried egg on top!