Saturday, June 16, 2007

zucchini ribbons and red onion salad


I couldn't resist the baby zucchini at the store today, so I came home with a huge bag full without any idea of what I'd do with them. Browsing the June issue of Everyday Food, I came across a super simple salad, using a standard dressing I use all the time but with the new-to-me trend of vegetables peeled into ribbons for the base of salads. Seems like just within the last week I've seen salad after salad featuring vegetable ribbons with everything from squashes to carrots.

Growing up we almost always had a big bowl of a similar salad in the fridge, a mix of halved cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, cucumber, red wine vinegar, and lots of pepper that would only taste better the longer it marinated. I'm happy to have learned to incorporate the same flavors with a new twist from the zucchini ribbons. This time around I only used what I had on hand, so the only thing extra I added was some freshly grated romano cheese, though next time I'll also add some artichokes to make it heartier for a light meal.

zucchini salad with red onion
From June issue of Everyday Food

1 T red-wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
course salt and ground pepper
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
4 small zucchini

In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil; season with salt and pepper. Stir in onion, and let stand 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, slice zucchini into paper-thin ribbons, avoiding seeds. Add to bowl with dressing, season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.

Serves 4 as a side dish, 2 as a light meal.

1 comment:

Dan said...

gift subscriptions would be welcomed...