Saturday, September 15, 2007
A little more serious today, I made the clutch from Amy Butler's In Stitches. Her instructions are the easiest to understand that I've found (sorry, Lotta), and there are a number of things in the book that I wouldn't mind making.
This was my first time using batting, interfacing, and a magnetic snap...and I got it all to work!
Since I'm still a sewing rookie, I followed the pattern rather closely. I'm finding that it's best to do that first to see how it "works," and then next time I can draw my own pattern to make it my own design.
I'm happy with the way it turned out, except that I wouldn't mind it having a tad more stability. I didn't want the bag to be too quilted, so I used only one layer of batting as opposed to the two the pattern instructed. I'm not sure if that would really make much of a difference in the durability of the bag, but regardless, I think next time I would skip the batting all together and use a stiff interfacing instead (or both, if I want the quilted feel).
I eschewed the velcro the pattern recommended and opted for the magnetic snap. A little nicer looking, I think, and so easy to do!
All in all, so happy I got to fit in a project this weekend!