Friday, November 2, 2007

Holiday Inspired Makeup Palette

Perusing the pages of Blueprint's first holiday issue, I was struck by the holiday decor featuring icy pinks, glowing apricots and saturated golds. Conveniently enough, I spied this modern winter palette minutes before sacrificing my unmade face and wallet to the aisles of downtown Nordstrom's makeup department.

I've been a Bare Escentuals girl for the last year, so I was ripe for a change in my makeup routine to give me the winter color boost I've been looking for. The bad: I was mistaken thinking that Halloween would be a quiet evening to shop for makeup, as my arrival at the M.A.C. counter found me overrun by Halloween enthusiasts being made up with gaudy face paint and too much black eyeliner. The good: Moving on and not knowing where to go, I spied the unassuming counter of Nars Cosmetics tucked far away from the Halloween hub-bub, so I parked my purse and took a gamble.

I won.

Sleek, black soft-touch compacts lined the counter, featuring powders velvety to the touch and in the most wearable of combinations. I was hooked before one swipe of powder foundation was swooshed across my cheek and down my nose. With the golden images of Blueprint in my mind, I chose a palette that will keep me glowing and fresh all the way through February without dipping into my tired summer bronzer.

The Look:


Powder Foundation, in Sante Fe
So soft, but it doesn't skimp on coverage. I like that it can be applied with the accompanying applicator sponge or a brush.






Blush, in Luster
A golden apricot hue that warms up your complexion without looking like you just went to the tanning salon--in winter.






Eyeshadow Duo, in Sugarland
Straight from Blueprint's Christmas tree. Matched with a glittery apricot, the gold-flecked pinkish violet is oh so sweet brushed in the creases of the eyes.






Eyeliner Pencil, in London
Make your eyes pop without harsh black eyeliner with this soft but firm slate grey pencil. This eyeliner glides on smoothly and takes your eyes from classic to smoky with a quick smudge along your lash line.





Makeup Primer
I've never used a makeup primer but have been a faithful user of Bare Escentual's bareVitamins Skin Rev-er Upper for at least a year (love the stuff). Since this was thrown in as a bonus to my purchase, I am happy to add it over the Rev-er Upper and under my makeup.








L'oreal Colour Riche Lipstick, in Caramel Latte
My mother, sister and I each have different colorings and skin tone, yet we all adore this lipcolor. It's subtle enough to allow quick application without a mirror yet packs enough pigment to pull your look together.





Photo Credits: Holiday images property of Blueprint Magazine
Nars Cosmetics from their website
L'oreal lipstick-sorry, no idea

2 comments:

Jamie said...

You know, you're totally inspiring me. I have never sat down at a makeup counter and had the "make me beautiful" experience! Now I feel I simply must. And that L'Oreal lipstick looks divine.

Dan said...

Wish I could see you made up in all that pink and gold and silver. I'm sure you'd be stunning! After all, you were without any of that to begin with.