Wednesday, September 26, 2007

how to travel with gadgets


I don't know about you, but every time I go on a trip I cram all the different chargers I need into random pockets in my suitcase and purse and inevitably, I return home missing one or two. I took a trip this past week, and as I was packing my cords into different pockets as usual, I stopped myself and decided this time would be different. I was determined to return home with all of my gadget's life supports!

I had four chargers to bring: usb cord for my camera, usb for my ipod, cell phone charger, and laptop cord.

At first I thought I could just store them all in the same pocket or a smaller bag, but then that left a chance that I'd still forget to put one back in there, considering I'm bad about spreading my things all over the place, even on a short trip.

Solution? As pictured above, I took a hint from how people store embroidery thread and cut out a piece of a cardboard box I had laying around to essentially make a large spool. It worked better than I expected because not only did it keep everything in one place, it ensured that I would easily recognize that something was missing if all of the notches were not full.

Simple solution, but my gadget's batteries are full after my return home and my wallet's fatter for not having to replace anything!

No comments: