Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Steak in Scotch Sauce

Cooking as a single person means two things:
  1. You eat meals by your lonesome.
  2. You end up eating the same thing for days because of this little thing that happens when you're only feeding one person--LEFTOVERS.
And for people like me who try to save money on staples so I can afford Manchego cheese, Spanish chorizo and Prosciutto di Parma (not to eat together, mind you), it means I buy in bulk, leaving my fridge at any one time full of 8 pork chops or 10 steaks. That's a lot of meat!

Yes, the obvious solution is to buy in bulk and freeze, but do people who suggest that really have room in their freezer? I certainly don't (mostly because there are two whole ducks in there that I don't know what to do with, but shhh. I'm legitimately complaining here!).

On to the steak in scotch sauce...

*draw parallel here* (I promise I'm not this literal all the time)

I recently bought steaks in bulk, and up to this point I have been coating them with Montreal Steak Seasoning and then searing them in butter and olive oil. It's probably one of my favorite foods, but I've hit the point of diminishing return and needed to diversify.

Meet my new pan. She's purdy. I've never had a skillet perfect for making pan sauces, so I was anxious to see what she could do. In an inhospitable turn of events last night, I was without wine at home so after searing and cooking my steak, I deglazed the pan with some Chevis, whisked in some splashes of cream, then swirled in some cold cubes of butter to finish (I didn't say it was low-fat!). Scotch sauce! The verdict? I was pleasantly surprised. It was incredibly rich, but my steak tasted much more out of a fancy restaurant than a value pack from Safeway. I wouldn't dare serve it to someone who doesn't care for scotch as the flavor was powerful, but I am a scotch drinking kind of girl, so it pleased my palate in just the right ways.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I think I love you.

I never cook steak at home (no particular reason, it just seems like restaurant food somehow), but this just might push me over the edge. I also am a scotch-drinking girl.