Sunday, January 13, 2008

Best Leftovers Ever, Maybe?

I went out for dinner Friday night and had prime rib for the first time. Holy moly was it good, if not in dinosaur proportions. No complaining from me, though, because these leftovers are, dare I say it, better than when I had it at the restaurant?

I seared the edges to slightly heat the steak through and served it atop a bed of tender baby greens that had been liberally tossed with a homemade sherry vinaigrette and a generous handful of crumbled blue cheese. YUM.

I originally bought sherry vinegar to make ratatouille, so I was glad to finally get around to making something else with it. Move over favorite Caesar dressing, because this one is quickly climbing the ranks.

Sherry Vinaigrette
Note: As with most dressings (well, and with anything), this one was made with what I happened to have on hand. I imagine a lot of people would add fresh herbs, garlic, and whatever proportions of vinegar:oil. I tend to like a 1:2.

About 1/4 c sherry vinegar
Lots of black pepper, or to taste
salt, to taste
1 packet Splenda or equivalent
About 1 T dijon mustard
About 1/2 c olive oil

As always, first whisk together all ingredients except oil, then slowly stream in oil while continuing to whisk until you reach desired consistency.

No comments: