Monday, July 2, 2007

balsamic strawberries, goat cheese, and toasted walnuts over mixed baby greens


Before I left for a work trip last week, I had made some balsamic strawberries from this recipe from Ina Garten, but I never got around to eating them. After coming home from the grocery store, I was cleaning out the fridge and was planning on throwing them out; after all, they had been there for a week!! I'm not sure if it was safe to eat (though vinegar preserves, right?), but wow, were those strawberries good! The balsamic and sugar turned into a sweet, thick glaze and the strawberries were still as tender and fresh as the day I bought them.

I made a simple salad by topping some mixed baby greens with the strawberries, crumbled goat cheese, toasted walnuts, and lots of freshly cracked pepper. The glaze/syrup was so good, I just used that as a dressing though some oil mixed in would have been equally good. I'm happy I bought another pound of strawberries on my shopping trip so I can make another batch!

1 comment:

Darlin' T said...

Yum, I will have to try the recipe.